According to Psychologist Sherrie Bourg “Clutter can play a significant role in how we feel about our homes, our workplaces, and ourselves. Messy homes and workspaces leave us feeling anxious, helpless, and overwhelmed. Yet, rarely is clutter recognized as a significant source of stress in our lives.”
Have you ever thought of why you feel so stressed when you see things at sixes and sevens? On the other hand, when everything is at its place and when you return back home from long hours of work, you feel happy.
Psychology says that you feel stressed out and anxious if there’s you notice your stuff at home kept in an unmanageable way. Do you know hat is the first thing you notice when you come back home from a long day of hard work? Off course you're home!
I’m sure you will go nuts if you enter your home and see that the kids have piled up clothes, toys, and books, the sink of the kitchen is looking all cluttered with dirty dishes, your dog has stepped on to a couple of flowerpots, and the coffee table looks cluttered with half-filled cups.
There are people who will start having panic attacks after seeing their dwelling place in that condition. And, sometimes such people worry if they have gone mad and it’s an unusual type of disease to feel like this. But, don’t worry that’s normal, you are behaving normally! Many psychologists say that keeping the space you live in cluttered and unmanaged can make you feel stressed and anxious.
But, the important thing is why messy space is considered the trigger of anxiety and stress. Let’s answer it for you!
Here are Top Reasons that make cluttered space a reason for stress & anxiety:
Clutter exposes us to a huge number of unimportant and useless stimuli and makes us feel overwhelmed.
It distracts us from other important things that should on our mind at that particular point in time. It eats away our focus and makes us feel stressed and frustrated.
You can’t really relax! It keeps you mentally and physically stressed keeping no space for rest & time in peace.
It makes you feel as if none of your work has been completed! Your brain gets some signal for a clutter of uncompleted tasks.
Clutter brings you in the stressful zone because then you are worried about how you are going to clear up all the mess.
It will make you embarrassed and guilty about how you can be so unorganized and cannot manage things.
It negatively affects our creativity and productivity.
You feel frustrated because it leaves you at a space where it’s very difficult for you to find something that you are looking for.
And, there’s much more to the list! We have just mentioned a few of them. But, thank God, we have easy-fixes to stress caused due to clutter unlike other forms of stresses.
We’ll let you know some of the ways that can effectively help you with avoiding stress caused due to clutter. Read below!
1. If you see the house looks cluttered and everything at sixes and sevens, there is a way out you can declutter it. But you have to be wise! Just get the entire family involved in the task, that would be fun doing it.
Divide either the task or the areas of the house! Assign each member one task one room and ask them to be responsible for it. And, even if you are doing the decluttering alone, just make sure that you are doing it one at a time. Take one portion at a time, finish it to completion and then move to another portion.
2. There’s a way out if you want to keep yourself away from clutter! You can prevent clutter from happening by creating space for each item that you have at your home. This will make it easy for you to find easily whatever you are looking for.
And, you should not store any of your daily use items in open; keep them in a closet like drawers and cabinets. Keeping them in open will make it feel, make you feel stressed. Choose an elegant drawer to store these items. This will make space look uncluttered and there would be more area at home where you can play and spend some time in peace.
3. One of the most important things if you want to keep your brain healthy and at peace is getting rid of things that you don’t really want. These useless items will do nothing but occupy space in your home and are one of the major cause of stress & anxiety.
So, no matter what you are going to do with these useless items just make sure that it’s not unnecessarily occupying space. This way you will be able to make more open space and space for other new items.
4. If you want to stop piling up clutter all over in home then make a thumb rule! Make a rule at your home that whosoever will be picking up a thing from one place will be putting it back the very moment it’s used. This small lifestyle change can have a tremendous effect on your mental health. Fighting this cause of stress and anxiety, in the beginning, might be a little tough, but in the end, you will get used to it.
Make the thumb rule, “keep the things back at their place after its uses are over! It will make a big difference.
5. And, the most important thing is that you have to make it fun! When you are doing with decluttering just make sure that you have put on your favorite music. This way, you’ll be able to enjoy it to the fullest. It will not see a burden for you and will make you more efficient and fast. You’ll see that the work is done in the blink of the eyes. You’ll start enjoying the whole thing and at the end will feel happy & delightful!
A cluttered space can sometimes hamper your work! So, just choose to make it clean smartly!
From the Web